You might not realize this, but the makers of retail products generally outsource the production of the packaging for those products to an outside company. Most people would assume that the makers of the products make the packaging as well, but that’s not the case. They’ll generally come up with the design themselves or work in unison with the product packaging company to create the design, but the other company is the one that actually produces the packages themselves. When you stop and think about it, it makes sense, because the retail product makers would have to have an entirely separate warehouse just to produce the packages. It’s much more cost effective and timely to have an outside company make the packages for them.
As one might guess, there are actually quite a few product packaging companies out there. In order for the makers of retail products to end up with great packages that help their products sell, they have to find the right product packaging business to work with. Here are the five things to seek out in such a business.
1. Experience. You obviously want to work with a retail packaging business with a lot of experience. The companies that have been around for a long time generally have a better understanding of how to create their packages, and they’re generally more reliable.
2. Dedicated to the Details. It’s also a good idea to work with a product packaging company that’s dedicated to the details. This means that they work hard to ensure that the packages they end up creating are an exact match for the packages that you designed with them.
3. Great at Communicating. It’s also important to find a product packaging company that’s excellent at communicating with you throughout the process. This means that they alert you to any issues they might be having, that they constantly communicate with you throughout the packaging design process, and that you can get ahold of them if any issues come up on your end or if you need some packages to be rushed to you so you can get products out the door. This might not seem like a major thing, but it is.
4. Proven Track Record. Fourth, pick a product packaging company with a proven track record. They should be able to show you some of the packages they’ve designed in the past, and they should be able to prove to you that those packages have helped those products sell.
5. Timely. The last thing to look for in a product packaging company is that they’re timely. This means that they create the packages and get them out the door in the amount of time they promised. You don’t want to be sitting around waiting for the packages to show up so you can get your products out the door. That’s bad for business.
Dunwiddie Custom Packaging is one of the product packaging companies in existence that offers all five of these things. There’s a reason why so many producers of retail products choose to work with them.